Arts of Africa

Friday, September 9, 2011

Batiking with Nani

This week was a very interesting and enjoyable week. This week we got the chance to meet Nani. Nani has a big personality and I had a great time watching him, and listening to the things he had to say. I loved listening to his stories and learning how he views things. Aside from his love of textiles Nani also has a love for painting. He talked about how he does not paint at any given time, but rather when he feels he needs to paint he will then do so. He described it as an outside force that drives him to do his paintings. I feel like I can completely relate to him when he says that. I have often felt this way about things myself. I just get this urge to do something without any reason as to why.
In class we also discussed a lot about what ‘tradition’ is and how it differs with different types of people and even different areas of the world. Picton also discusses this in his essay. We also talked about how traditions are changing. For example, weddings have changed a lot in the last 20 years. We talked about how it used to be the woman wears white and a veil and the ceremony is held in a church. Now you see weddings that are held anywhere and the ceremony may be casual or fancy. We also talked about how gay couples are able to get married in certain states. I could relate to what we talked about in class with what Nani said about batik and how it originally started in Indonesia and since then has continued to spread. Traditions are changing and spreading.
While listening to Nani talk he also discussed his love for dance and the symbolism with wearing heavy amounts of fabric. He talked about how they do this to prepare for war/hard times. That if they are able to still do the same things with having this weight, that it makes them stronger and ready.

I think others can agree with me when I say the most interesting thing we did in class this week was learn how to Batik. I had a great time learning the history behind it and also how it has affected Nani’s life. Although I wish we would have had more time and space to Batik. I thought it was a great learning experience and I am so happy that I was given the opportunity to not only learn to Batik, but also meet Nani.
Here are a couple process photos from the workshop with Nani, enjoy!



Nani showing Josh how to properly dip the stamp.


Stamping with wax.




Dipping the fabric in dye.


After the wax was rubbed off.


4 comments:

  1. Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you connected what you learned from Nani and integrated the role of textiles with dance, and the concept that "tradition" is itself a social and temporal construct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, thought that what Nani said about how he only paints when he has the urge to was interesting. I think sometimes when we're in our studio classes we can get "stuck in a rut" or we just go through the motions. While we have to create art right now for a grade, Nani only creates it when he feels moved to. What do you think sparks this urge to create? Do you think it's the same type of thing every time or do you think it's different things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of the process. I wish I would have thought of that idea! I would have to agree with you on having more time to Batik and try different techniques because I loved learning about it. What would you have love to have tried with your batik? I also like that you brought up what Nani said about doing art only when you feel the urge to. I found that quote he said to be so interesting because if you think about it that's where most of the good art work comes from. It comes from a place of no certainty. It just happens but when you are forced to do art it never comes out the way you want it. That's why it's important to keep the connection with the urge to do art and not to be forced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the thing that drives me to create things would be inspiration. Often times when I am feeling inspired is when I do my best work. I think that it can be different for other people. I believe that anything can spark the interest to want to create something. I think it is just that right moment at the right time that moves one to create something.

    ReplyDelete